My hair has flourished the most when I adopt a variety of protective styles over several months.
The ends of the hair are the oldest part and most fragile. By keeping my ends tucked away and protected this allows for length retention, leading to the longer and thicker hair if done correctly.
For the next six months I will be wearing a variety of protective styles that will range from simple buns to using extensions.
Below are a few tips that you can try to promote healthy hair while you are protective styling.
1. Try to avoid wearing the same protective style consecutively if you are adding extensions or braids, this should involve having at least a week rest from the pressure of added hair, you need to let your hair breathe! Once you install the chosen protective style again, try to switch it up. For example instead of installing large box braids again go for smaller braids or change the parting, this leads to less tension on the hair.
2. Do not leave braids and extensions in for more than six weeks. You are at risk of the hair breaking and becoming a matted mess. Whilst my hair is in braids I still co-wash to prevent the matting at the roots and it helps to reduce breakage when I remove the braids.
3. Remember to take care of your hair whilst it is protected by moisturising. Wigs, extension, and buns do not neglect to add moisture. You can try my recipe for a braid spray to keep your locks quenched.
4. Get rid of those straggly ends with a trim or dusting. There is no point holding onto split or thinning ends and hoping a protective style will come to the rescue. Once you get rid of the splint ends your hair is more likely to retain its length.
5. Keep hold of those edges. Black Jamaican Castor oil used on the hair line can be used for maintenance or to stimulate growth.
6. Make sure you experiment and find out what works for you. There is no rule that all type 4 hair must wear a particular protective style and this will lead to growth. Everyone’s hair is different.
I'm Caron and I have created this blog to share my love of natural hair, beauty and a few things in-between.
If you are on the same vibe, check it out and enjoy. X